Kapal = Skull Bhati = Illuminating
Kapalabhati is not only a pranayama or breathing technique it is also a Kriya or purification practise.
Kapalabhati is also known as Skull Shining Breath as it cleanses the nasal passageways and sinuses and supplys the brain with fresh a fresh supply of oxygen rich blood. It also cleanses the throat and lungs and stimulates the abdominal muscles and organs.
How to practise Kapalabhati Pranayama;
- Stand with feet turned out over hip width apart
- Inhale to fill and expand the belly
- Assume a standing lions/cow pose
- Exhale and draw the diaphragm in and up moving into cat pose
- Just as in normal cat to lion/cow pose, move from the heart centre
- Try to do twenty moving up to sixty
- When finished, inhale fully and hold breath for as long as comfortable.